Daniel Thunberg, Global Head of Connected Transport of Irdeto, and Danny Loeb, VP Alliances & Partners of SafeRide Technologies, talk about the process for security in this panel-like discussion at CES2019. A key message is that cybersecurity is a component of automobile safety and is something that industry cooperates on, instead of competes on. Further, cybersecurity and the mindset of protecting the various electronic systems have to be part of an AV company’s culture.
Highlights (with approximate timecode in the above video) include:
- 3:25 – How are the changes in the vehicle market, such as electrification, Mobility as a Service, etc., affecting the OEMs view of security?
- 5:11 – Need to a culture of security in the automobile world protecting the IP networks within the vehicle
- 7:05 – Like safety, security shouldn’t be used as a competitive roadblock
- 8:14 – Industry collaboration for long-term success
- 10:39 – What are the potential revenue opportunities associated with a robust security framework?
- 12:05 – Anomaly detection and predictive maintenance are some of the advantages of a security-first approach.
- 14:06 – Security is the baseline of the Maslow pyramid for connected vehicles